7 Companies Cited for Violations Exposing Workers to Asbestos at San Antonio Work Site
Three Miami-based contractors and four San Antonio-based subcontractors have been cited for 45 serious violations and one other-than-serious violation for exposing workers at a San Antonio construction site to asbestos hazards. The proposed penalties for these violations is $148,000.
The violations include failure to:
• train workers on the hazards of working with asbestos
• abate asbestos hazards and ensure that employees work in regulated areas
• perform air monitoring for asbestos exposure
• use the required engineering controls to prevent exposure
• require the use of proper respiratory and personal protective equipment
• ensure than an asbestos assessment is performed by a qualified person
The Miami-based contractors include: Newport Property Ventures LLC, who was issued citations for 8 serious and one other-than-serious violations carrying fines of $36,100; Newport Property Construction LLC, who was issued 2 citations for serious violations with fines of $12,600; and Jamesboys Inc., who received 3 citations for serious violations carryng fines of $18,900.
The San Antonio subcontractors were cited for a total of 32 violations: Alex Vega DBA Alco Painting & Remodeling received 11 citations with fines of $28,200; Luis Lozada received 8 citations carrying fines of $20,400; Frank Gonzalez received 4 citations totaling $9,600 in fines; and Clemente Covarrubias DBA Knock It Out was issued 9 citations with fines of $22,200.
Latest posts by Korky (see all)
- Fall-Protection Procedures Plague Repeat Offender - April 5, 2017
- Trench Safety Questioned in South Dakota Incident Involving Serious Injury - February 28, 2017
- Excavation Safety Procedures Failure Cost NY Contractor $200,000 in Fines - February 28, 2017